Re: (ET) antispammer's

On 23 Jun 2006 at 17:46, Neil Dennis wrote:

> I had a message blocked to electrak, the blocker was an outfit called
> "sorbs" that I've run into before, they really clobbered Yahoo for a
> while.

SORBS is a spam blacklist, one of many.

Normally if your messages are returned as undeliverable because your IP
address is on a blacklist, it means that your ISP or hosting provider (in
the case of a hosted email server) has been hosting a spam source - most
likely without knowing it (though there are a few spam-friendly ISPs).
Usually a note to the ISP's sysadmin will take care of things.  He or she
will enforce the AUP, deleting the spammer's account (if that hasn't been
done already) and then request that the blacklist remove its record.  All
this is SOP in such cases.

It's something of a nuisance - I've had to deal with it myself when my
virtual hosting provider managed to get a spammer using its servers - but
with the volume of spam that afflicts most users and ISPs, blacklists are
one of the few reasonably effective ways to fight back.

Anyway, if you're finding yourself blocked from mailing lists (and other
recipients) the answer is to contact your email provider's support staff
get the spammers dealt with, and get unblocked.  However, with something
as
huge as gmail, you probably won't have to.  Most likely some other user(s)
will do it for you.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
     As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
     more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some
     great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
     their hearts' desire at last, and the White House will be
     adorned by a downright moron.

                             -- H L Mencken, 1920