Re: (ET) changing tires?

I have seen that procedure performed once in my life.If the opportunity presents itself again, I will be sure to NOT be in the same township with those types of jokers. When you have witnessed an 8 ply 15 inch rim 38 inch diameter tire jump over eight feet off the floor, that's more excitement than I need.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave & Deb" <daveb drizzle com>
To: "Tim Humphrey" <hump evgrin com>
Cc: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) changing tires?

starting fluid to reseat the bead?  might there be match involved...
sounds like acoupla lazy, bored goo' ol' boys on a saturday morning... :^)

Yes 5 bux is cheap for the convenience of having a tire mounted.

But, there are those die hard do-it-yourselfers out there.....

Here is how "we" do it.(we: those with family members who have had a hairdo ruined
by a ceiling fan)

Did it just two weeks ago in fact, on a 1952 Allis Chalmers front wheel.

Once the bead is broke the rest is easy........sometimes.

To break the bead

Place the wheel and tire assembly flat on the ground.
Remove the insides of the valve stem

Place a board or other similar flat object (I use a 2x6) across the tire so one
edge just touches the rim and the
board covers the sidewall of the tire.

Drive over the board slowly with your car or truck. You may have to spin the tire
180 degrees and do it again, but if
you removed the valve stem guts like I said to, then the bead should break free.

I know what you're thinking.... "I don't need to remove the valve stem". Trust me.
You do.

Flip the tire/wheel assembly and repeat for the other side. Now the tire is loose
on the rim and can be removed. Put
the screwdriver away and get a crowbar, tire iron, and large hammer.

Anybody care to know how to use starting fluid to re-seat the bead? It goes along
with the saying..."Hey Y'all, watch
this!"

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Get your own FREE evgrin.com email address;
send a request to ryan at evsourcecom