Re: (ET) POR 15 color & other questions

You really want the POR-15 as the base layer to get the rust protection. I'm not sure how POR-15 is supposed to do over another paint, though I guess I have done it where I've wire brushed just the rusty areas then painted over everything. It seems to work ok.

I would paint the area that need to be slick with POR-15 and that's all. These parts don't really show a lot. The parts that show I would cover with enamel of choice. Note the POR-15 directions on how to do that.

Sandblasting certainly makes it easier to use other paints and ensures you start with no rust, but the POR-15 adds protection and is very tough. I always use it as a base coat.

- SteveS

makinglightning comcast net wrote:
I am about to paint my snowthrower. I see you only have a choice in colors of black, grey and clear. What have you guys opted for when you used this paint? I am also going to paint a showthrower on my John Deer and wondered if anyone out here would have an opinion as to which color would be best. It looks like yellow is not an option unless I paint the plow that first with an enamel, then clear POR15. I guess that would give me my slick finish? Just not have the rust inhibitor properties? but in that case I could just use yellow tractor paint to begin with, eh? Would you have to use this stuff at all if you were to sandblast things first? Thanks for all your input.
Kevin