Re: (ET) Alltrax question.

On 3 Apr 2006 at 15:24, Kleinbrahm, Robert wrote:

> Someone in this group had mentioned leaving the PTO
> out of the circuit and wiring it separately and I am wondering if they
> could comment on this.

I don't recall that, and I don't understand what "wiring it separately"
would mean.  In the wiring diagram I got from Alltrax, the PTO wiring *is*
completely separate from that for the controller.

Did you have the controller connected to the tractor while you were
charging
it?  The manual says - in italics - that it shouldn't be, because the
charger output can exceed the voltage ratings of the controller's
components. This is the reason for the charge/run switch shown on the
installation diagram.   If the controller was connected during charging,
that would explain the overvoltage error code.  It certainly could have
damaged the unit so that it would show symptoms of failure when powered up
again.

If the controller wasn't connected during charging, a wiring error is
certainly possible.  Another cause might be a wire that's pinched or has
damaged insulation.  Did you strip out the old wiring and rewire the
tractor?  The first sentence in the Alltrax manual is "Remove all relays,
contactors, control boards, ribbon resistors and associated wiring from
the
Electric Tractor."  When I fitted the controller to my E-15, I took that
mean that I should remove the old control wiring.  I retained only the
wiring to the brake switch and seat switch.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

                                        -- William G. McAdoo