Re: (ET) 12v to 6v

Hi John;

A little primer.

Batteries have voltage and amphours. you multiply the two and you get a
batteries capacity - watthours.

So a 12 volt 90 ah 70lb battery has 1080 watthours of capacity.
also a 6 volt 180 ah 70lb battery has 1080 watthours of capacity.

Notice the watthours and weight are the same??? Theoretically this is
true, however the 12v battery will have more plastic and less lead so will
also have [slightly]less capacity in the same size case.

If you hook the batteries up positive to negative in a string it is called
a series string and the voltages will add while the amphours remain the
same. So with the above batteries 6 -6volters will give 36volts and 180ah
while 6 - 12 volters will give 72 volts and 90ah.

If you hook all of the positives to each other and the negatives to each
other it is called parallel, and the ah's add while the voltages remain
the same. So 6 - 6volters in parallel will give 6 volts and
1080ah's(6480wh's). While 6 - 12volters will give 12 volts and 540
ah's(6480wh's).

So we can hook 6 - 6 volters in series for 36v and 180ah, or we can hook
3-12 volters in series and the parallel them with three more 12volters in
series for 36v and 180ah, Or hook three sets of two paralleled 12volters
in series for the same thing(like what you have).

Most elec-traks use the 6-6volters all in series....

Why? Because the 6 volt deep cycle batteries have been around for a long
long time, they are cheap and rugged and fill the need. There is no
cheaper way to buy lead acid batteries.

So basically yes. You can rewire your 141 with 6 - 6 volters if they will
fit, (they should). The charger will work fine. The only issue will be the
connections for the accessories like the lights and lifts, however I
believe the 141's used all 36 volt components so that may not be an issue.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Stay Charged!
Hump