Re: (ET) found it, found the ground fault!

steves wrote:
Actually, an amature fault is very believable. There are several places a problem can occur:

- The isolators where the wire connection bolt passes thru the motor body (very likely).
- The brush lead shorting to the body (possible)
- An amature short (lets hope not)
- ???

- I expect to hear an "ahha!!" all the way out to Leesburg this weekend!
*nod* I'm hoping it's not the armature. I really don't want to have the thing rewound. On the other hand it's a shunt motor so the armature doesn't have too many windings, right?

Anyone have pictures of these motors apart? Also any idea what a rewinding would cost? Last time I took a mower motor to the local shop they charged me $90 to replace the bearings. If a rewinding is hundreds of dollars it might be worth finding a motor from a junker.

Or I could take option 2 and ignore the ground fault. But that simply would not be right :-)

Chris