(ET) found it, found the ground fault!

Ok, after spending another hour I finally found the ground faults.

First we go back to Chris testing things. All signs pointing to card 4, but it's an isolated thing. Thus it has to be getting the fault from *SOMEWHERE*.

So I disconnected card 4, and started going up the wires, one at a time. Got to 17, ground fault. Got to 19, ground fault.

Looked at the manuals, 17 goes to 1F,2R, A1 (motor). 19 goes to 1R,2F,S2(motor).

Makes sense in a way; any ground fault there would travel thru the motor armature windings and show up on both sides. Down to the contactors we go.

Disconnected A1 at 2R, 1F,2R do not fault. Good, contactors have been known to go to ground.

Disconnected S2 at 2F, 2F,1R do not fault. Also sort of good; the contactors are not faulting at least.

Down to the motor. Disconnect A1, fault on 1F2R goes away. Disconnect S2, fault on 1R2F goes away.

End of the line. The fault is in the motor, armature circuit to be specific. All wires have been eliminated as sources of the fault. Check A1 to ground, fault. S2 to ground, fault.

So I have a faulting drive motor. Makes a lot of sense; that's where that hellish induction is coming from. It's not the field, it's the armature.

The other fault in the lift circuit was easy: Remove the charger top, pull off the lift wire common, no fault on wire. Put on lift common, fault. Take off the two other wires, still fault. Thus there is a ground fault in the lift motor.

End of story. When I was putting the lift to +, the fault would go thru the lift and put +18 volts to +36 volts down on the motor armature, which would then travel up the wires to card 4 and go everywhere in heaven. No wonder I was seeing ground faulting everywhere.

Now for the fun question: If the motor is faulting, why? I'm going to drop the motor this weekend to look at it on the bench, but is the problem possibly as simple as 30 years of brush dust and crud in the armature? Anyone have E20 brushes so I can replace them while I'm in there? Anyone have them and can just drop them in the mail to me so I can get them by Saturday?

I am happy to have found this problem. I rock, without a doubt. As a side thought to all those E12 owners with incinerated diodes: Check to see if you have any ground faults. If you see +36 volts between the frame and the pack you have one somewhere. I'm betting it's in the drive motor and I'm betting that if there is even a momentary second fault (say in your lift) your diodes will blow up.

Chris