(ET) E-12 electrical problem

I get no forward movement with the speed control. The speed control
microswitches check out OK. I can see no loose wires  or signs of
overheating in the control panel. I did notice  that the center terminal
on the charger was strangely very warm.
After getting it into my garage, I found that re-engaging the power
disconnect causes the traction motor to go in reverse, with or without the
key switch being on and with the speed control in neutral.
I have a manual, but I don't know how correct the page 4-4 schematic is
because some previous owner apparently made the conversion of double to
single contactors. The model number is 26AE12HA. Anyone out there ever
have this problem or have a clue to advise me?

Bill Alburty in KC