----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave & Deb"

sounds like the reversing relay has welded itself shut.  It should be
mounted on the inside of the "firewall".  If it's an original it'll be of
an "open" deising  that is the points are open to the air and not
enclosed.  You might be able to pry them apart and dress the points back
to serviceable condition.  IIf not check out hosfelt.com  they have 24v
and 48v enclosed relays for under $5 each.  I've used the 48v relays with
some success... others have used the 24v but I believe that requires the
addition of resistors or someone.  check the archive for forward/revers
relay.  there's a lot of discussion there about these.
Dave