(ET) Elec-trak on NiCDs.

Ok, I just ran the E20 with a load of flooded Nickel Cadnium batteries. These are the Saft BB600 type batteries. Each one is 1.2 volts, 3.2lbs, and is rated at 30ah at a discharge rate of 30amps.

This is very under-rated. So far they seem to put out 40ah at 60amp discharge rates. Compared to lead acid, this is incredible.

I set up a pack of 30 in the rear weight box, and tied it into the E20's power wires via 6 gauge wire and a set of split bolts. Monitoring this is a E-meter with shunt. Protecting it is a 200amp 180 volt fuse in the pack.

Performance is incredible. The sag going up hills at 100amp draw is minimal, the tractor "feels" very good. Even after mowing for awhile (about 30ah worth) it still felt peppy. I think two strings of these could replace all six T105's.

Only problem is weight, or rather the lack of it. 60 of these would weigh about 200lbs, somewhat less than the T105's. I might need to leave some of those in as ballast.

As for the charger, the stock E20 charger is amazing. It tapers off current right at 44 volts from 16amps (start) down to 2. I recorded the drive and the charge with the E-meter; time to review the results.

Chris