RE: (ET) battery monitor

For what it's worth, I have a LCD digital panel meter mounted on the dash of my car. It reads 1X.XX volts, so I can see the actual battery voltage, which tells me the status of the battery and charging system at a glance. The current drain is so small that it is wired direct to the battery with no switch. Also it is better to have it directly on the battery so as to not have to think about voltage drops in the system wires. It's better than a bunch of LEDs in my opinion. You can generally get this kind of panel meter on ebay for $8 or so.

Harry Landis

From: neil <wombat dssinternet net>
To: et <Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: (ET) battery monitor
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:51:14 -0400

I just ordered a battery monitor kit from "futuretec" (?), it uses an ic and lights 10 LEDS over an approx 2 volt range - gonna put it in wifes car - she got caught with a flat batt and with the "joke" idiot lights they use there is not way to tell condition. In this case I don't know if it would have made a difference - after we ju,p started it, drove about 40 miles I had her run the CD player for an hour (that's what she had done the day it died) put my load checker on the bat, a 30 second 100 amp draw pulled it to about 10.7 volts, unloaded it was about 11.5. So we put it away, I bought a new batt anyway, went to pull it out og the garage today, batt was at 7.6 volts. I checked for currnt draw, found none. interesting eh.

wombat