(ET) (no subject)

I have an E-20 [model 26AE20AA, serial number DP20045] which is, as far as
I can tell, still has its original wiring, although it may have been
tinkered with.  When I purchased the tractor it had dead batteries but was
wired such that there would have been  18-volts across the lights and
24-volts across the lift.

I have only 2 speeds, the slowest speed and what seems like the second
slowest, while the transaxle is in gear.  A check of the hood revels the
front resistor pack is heating up after a few minutes of travel.

When I operate the foot pedal by hand with the transaxle is in neutral I
can hear the switches close and a can hear a corresponding change in motor
speed for all 8 speeds.

Any thoughts as to what to check first?

Thanks,
Bill