RE: (ET) minibikes

Neil wrote:

> Just thinking (dangerous), to power a minibike, how would the fan motor
> from a big auto work, that could be run on 12 volts  ?

I see I'm not the only one who has brilliant ideas, only to find that
someone else had them before. ;^)

EVParts used to sell a Revcor fan motor that they claimed was the same as
used in the Zappy scooter.  The Zappys were OK for putting the electric
board scooter on the map, but performance was never a strong point.  You
had
to push off to get it started and they had poor hillclimbing ability.
There
were some quality issues as well, but that's Zap's fault, not the motor's.

Hmmm, 2 or 3 fan motors wired in series?

For a minibike I think you want at least a 24 VDC motor.  Series-wound
would
be nice so you have good starting torque, but those can get very pricey.
Some of the more powerful PM scooter motors might suffice.  See

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=527&product_id=3484

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=527&product_id=3474

HTH,
Chris