(ET) Wet stuff. Dry stuff

Title: Message
Hi
I work at a place where we often drop electronic equipment overboard, so we're pretty good at drying things out. freshwater (as in not salty) isn't really that hard on equipment as long as it isn't connected to a power supply.So the initial dunking isn't to much of a problem. But you must make sure it is completely dry for two reasons, One, the obvious, it not wise to play with electricity and water. Two, this is the sneaky one rust and corrosion. A quick way to insure that things are really dry is to rinse them in methyl hydrate, (rubbing alcohol) this dissolve the water and the alcohol dry much faster and will not corrode the metal parts.
    So, our procedure is as follows.
1,) disassemble the equipment.
2.) remove as much of the water as possible (compressed air is good if you have it)
3,) rinse with alcohol (use a spray bottle)
4,) rinse again
6,) more compressed air
5,) dry in a warm dry place, (out in the sun or a sunny window)

I think I'd change the bearings while I had the motor apart if they get water in them they can be dried. But, that just might be me being over cautious.

Cheers

Geof Thompson BSc. CLS
Canadian Hydrographic Service           | Service Hydrographique du Canada
Fisheries and Oceans Canada             | P
êches et Océans Canada
Central and Arctic Region               | Région du Centre et de l'Arctique
P.O. Box 5050, 867 Lakeshore Road       | C.P. 5050, 867 chemin Lakeshore
Burlington, ON    L7R 4A6               |
Burlington, ON    L7R 4A6

mailto:thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca
Office  Bureau: (905) 336-4698
Fax | Télécopieur:(905) 336-8916