Re: (ET) one speed, no power E20

I'd agree that the E-15 suffers from its "delicate" controls. I don't have an E-20, but my E-12 with its robust mechanical switching will survive lifes's minor worries (like shifting from forward to reverse while rolling) better than my E-15. I wanted to offer a speculative response on the reason for the "electronic" controls in the E-15. I would guess the answer is not so much the cost pressure, but rather the idea at the time of production, transistors were really cool. Anything that was "transistorized" had to, almost by definition, be better than the same machine with mechanical controls. Never mind that the solid state switching was poor then and worse with age.

In my case, a mouse had built a urine soaked nest on the board while the SPO (Stupid Previous Owner - my brother-in-law) had it in storage under a tarp outside. The card was full of corroded junctions. At the time I acquired it I didn't know about Bill Gunn, so I bought all the components and rebuilt the board by hand. About got it right too. It is still working, but will be upgraded to an Alltrax controller when I get two days off in a row and the nerve.

I agree that it is good and useful to preserve working antique tractors with original control systems. As artifacts I am sure they will some day be worth more than modified, just like carefully restored Model A Fords are worth more than some heavily modified hot rods. However, if you want to use an E-15 every day, there is reason to change the control system. Since the E-20 is substantially different, I will reserve judgement on its suitability for everyday use.

Some stuff on my site: www.plitch.com