From: TOM
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:56 PM
Subject: (ET) RE: relay replacement

I'm not sure this is pertinent but after this discussion of relays I checked mine out and noticed they are all cracked across the metal ban that holds them together.  One thing I noticed is they are marked 10amp 115v AC go figure.  Does anyone know of some OEM replacements? Is it alltrax time?  Or will the ones from surplus Center work?

This has probably been said before, but you need to be a bit careful
when putting a resistor in series with a relay coil.  In the case of
smaller relays it's safe to do this, but for larger relays, and
certainly contactors, that have a much higher pull-in current than
holding current, it might not be possible to pick a resistor value that
will both allow enough current to pull the relay in and sufficiently
drop the holding voltage.

>>> "Markus Lorch" <mlorch vt edu> 4/19/2005 8:13:36 PM >>>
> In related news my tractor's cut-out at full power was related to a
> mis-aligned relay. One of these days I will replace all the
> relays with
> nice 24 volt+resistor ones. Those in there tend to be very
particular.

Chris,

try these:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005041919113835&catname=&qty=1&it

em=11-2382

They are enclosed, 36V, and seem more reliable than the original ones.

Mike Wallace found them originally and told me and at one point posted

them also to the elec-trak forum

I got me a set but haven't installed them yet.

The price is right at $4.99

Markus