RE: (ET) True motor output

I modified a 2" Jacuzzi 'sludge pump' that was originally powered by a burned up Briggs & Stratton 3 HP at 3600 rpm engine to work off a deck motor.  The B & S based pump was rated 100 gal/min at 5' lift and 120 gal/min at 0' lift and no back pressure.  I did it to de-water for a swimming pool dig.  The deck motor is 3/4 to 1 hp at 3000 rpm (depending on who you talk to).  It took some machining to fit the motor to the pump.  I ran the thing for 4 hours and it cycled on the thermal breaker as the torque load was too high for continuous duty.  The duty cycle was on 60 seconds, off 75 seconds, and I stopped because I didn't trust the thermal breaker if I wasn't there.  I was pumping about 10' lift and well over 50 gal/min out of a very long 2" stainless point, but it did work.  It was eerily quiet as the discharge was 50' away.  I put a nozzle on it briefly, and it was easy to drive a 1" stream 40' or more.  I put a 3.5 hp Tecumseh engine in it's place and let it run for 2 weeks.

Larry Elie

-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Thomas Pattee
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:10 AM
To: elec-trak-tufts-admin
Subject: (ET) True motor output

Anyone know what the true output for the new and old ETs are?  I've seen the power curves, but am trying to figure out how the motors accurately compare to others I've found on ebay.

I'm trying to find a way to run irrigation pumps using DC motors, and am trying to find some PM motors in the 2-5 HP range.  Most of the motors I find in that range have power curves similar to the E15, E20, and snowblower motor curves, which makes me think that they aren't 12-, 15-, or 20-HP equivalent motors (even with the elect HP = 2X gas HP).

Any thoughts?