Re: (ET) Front wheel spindle

Interesting. I had a front spindle gall in the cast front axle and wound up junking it. Heat wouldn't get it out, sledge wouldn't get it out, *driling it* would not get it out.

Note to all: Grease the front axles annually. In fact grease everything with a zerk annually.

Chris

Rhett George wrote:

 - Greetings -

Here's a thought regarding the spindle used with the fabricated axle tractor. Presuming the spindle to be case-hardened, that treatment is likely done to make it a harder surface than that of the bore in which it rides. If the egg-shhaped hole is bored out to reasonable roundness and fitted with solid bronze or brass bushings, the bearing
surface will be softer and the steel spindle will not need to be case-
hardened.

The E-20 here must not have had case-hardened spindles because the metal galled and almost locked up the steering. Happily I was able
to get the spindles out, smooth down the galled surfaces, and put
things back together with plenty of grease.

Hope this helps.

                                        Rhett George