(ET) Diode Check my multi-meter checks voltage not resistance

Subject: Re: Fw: (ET) Diode Check my multi-meter checks voltage not resistance

I assembled one of the Radio Shack® FET meters in my youth . It worked well enough, just not for very long. :( The RCA VoltOhmyst® that I inherited at the same time as the Simpson requires a longer than usual warm up time before it settles down.
    Due to cord length restrictions, it has yet to meet the Elec-Trak. <G>
{And I turn 51, the end of next month.}

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Roden" <etpost drmm net>
To: "Elec-trak Mail List" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:12 AM

On 23 Apr 2005 at 20:27, Herb Crary wrote:

What in the world is a sand based meter?

That was a little electronics pun.  Sand = silicon (I guess ;-).  Most
semiconductors today are doped silicon: therefore a sand-based meter is a
semiconductor-based meter. Typically, that'd be a digital multimeter (DMM), but it could also be an older analog meter with a high gain, high impedance
gain stage on the input.  (Or even a VTVM - and if you're old enough to
remember those, give yourself a nice birthday present next time round. Bonus
points if you've actually used one.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
   Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
   intelligence for long enough to get money from it.

                     -- Stephen Leacock