Fw: (ET) Diode Check my multi-meter checks voltage not resistance

What in the world is a sand based meter?

Herb Crary    Boulder CO

----- Original Message ----- From: "RJ Kanary" <rjkanary nauticom net> To: "Allen Hunt" <allenhunt_2000 yahoo com>; <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Diode Check my multi-meter checks voltage not resistance

         A major shortcoming of sand based multimeters is their inability
to properly assess a semiconductor junction . Most do not provide enough
current, even in the alleged 'Diode Check' mode, to turn the junction 'on'
.
          That's why I grab my trusty, half century old Simpson 260 ®. It
CAN provide the current , and the results are without doubt . So , before
condemning parts , verify the test results.
      Go get a cheap analog VOM, and follow the procedure outlined in the
homeowner's Service Manual.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Hunt" <allenhunt_2000 yahoo com>