RE: (ET) More lift motor thoughts

I think your rear is on the wrong taps.  They should BOTH be run off
"18V".
Getting the taps wrong is REAL common.  Even though I can count batteries,
checking
with a volt meter saves some work and money later.  The motor will run on
24V... for
about 3 up and down cycles...then the insulation melts.

In addition; GE did NOT re-wind the motor; it's a standard "12V"
automotive motor.
They knew the duty cycle, which is part of what governs the winding
temperature,
would be short.  This is not unique.  The starter motor in your car would
melt if
you ran it at the nominal 12-14V for say 1/2 hour.  The torque on a motor
is proportional
to the current in the windings times the number of winds.  The torque does
not
know anything about voltage, BUT; the to get the current up requires
voltage.  To get
the current REAL high requires MORE voltage.  That's when ohmic losses
come and carry
you away; voltage=current times resistance.  To get more windings you use
small gauge
wire, which is higher resistance.  In addition, the wire resistance
increases with
temperature.  This is something every motor designer deals with.  So if a
motor is not
expected to see continuous duty; the lift motor or a starter motor, you
just design for
that case and hope no one tries to run it too long.

Larry Elie