Re: (ET) Lift motors from cars

Maybe you got a bum one, or just the wrong type. If you try again, please let us know the results.

I will try building another one; this one went from clean as a whistle (I checked it) running at 12 volts no load to a burned out wreck within 5 minutes. I looked it over before putting it into service; the field magnets were nice and clean and white. The armature windings were nice red caramel.

When I pulled it it would barely run on 12 volts, the armature windings were burned with the exception of two loops, and the commutator was just caked with carbon from the brushes. It was just plain bad. However it lifted the tiller way faster than the front lift would take the snowblower. A new armature (spare) didn't help.

I'm tempted to pull my front lift apart and see if the wire is more heavy; there seems to be room on the armature for thicker wires.

Chris