Re: (ET) cooked transformer (new owner question update)

Thanks for all the replies to my earlier questions
regarding my 12S.  My lights are working.  All I did
was fiddle with the fuse.  I am charging the batteries
now with my 12 volt charger (two at a time).  Umm I
checked underneath and found no belt, sheesh, so I got
one from grainger.  I am going to need a new lift
strap, but the lift only takes in the strap a few
inches and then reverses itself.  It never actually
lifts the deck, only gets the strap tight before
reversing.  Any ideas?

Does the motor actually reverse, or does the strap just go up and down? Might be the strap is not secured to the motor axle with that staple-like thing.

I was charging the batteries and had watched it for a
couple of hours with no apparent problems, so niavely
I went to bed with it charging.  Next morning the
garage is full of smoke and the transformer is well
done! Any ideas why this would have happened?

I'd guess a diode shorted, or something like that.

There are two diodes on a tray in with the charger. You might have just burned those out instead of the whole transformer. Was it smoking all night, or just sometime along the evening it went foom?

Chris