Re: (ET) Carbon Monoxide??

I am not aware of any chemical process that occurs during charging of a lead acid battery that will have CO as an end product. {At the same time, however, I only took one year of chemistry in high school, and was not exactly noted as a 'star' student. } At the same time, the device used to measure the CO level in the air might also show sensitivity to hydrogen, or any sulfuric acid vapor that might be present in the air. I at one time had a gas / products of combustion detector in my home. This was when such technology was in its infancy. Not only did it detect all the things it was supposed to, it would also alarm in the presence of hair spray ,{At the opposite end of the house.}, and Lysol®spray disinfectant, anywhere in the house . Leaving a car idling outside on a cold morning,{When this thing was on the second floor.} would also wake it up. How old is this detector? If memory serves me correctly, the sensing element in those has a finite life time, and the unit has be replaced every few years. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen & Carol Welch" <welches paonline com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:48 AM
Subject: (ET) Carbon Monoxide??

Okay, here's an odd one.

I left my E20 charging overnight in the garage.  In the morning, my
Nighthawk carbon monoxide alarm was going off (which it never has before).
It stopped after I aired out the room.

Can charging batteries generate carbon monoxide??  (Nothing else was
happening in the room, so either it's the batteries, or the alarm was
malfunctioning...)

Steve

Alltraxed E20