(ET) Side deck conversion

Hi Chris,

I have one 42" rear- and one 42" side-discharge.  The only differences are:

1) the cover plate on the rear discharge vs chute on side discharge,
2) the blade baffle on the rear discharge is oriented 180 degrees from the side discharge baffle and has two additional "tails" between the blades (at the intersection of the two arcs), and
3) the rear discharge has a rubber "projectile guard" covering the rear discharge opening.

You ought to be able to cut off the additional tails, flip the baffle around, and replace the cover plate with a 16 or 12-guage chute (that you fabricate on a metal brake).

As for collecting the clippings in the center of a rectangle, it's harder than it sounds.  First, with each successive circuit around the yard, your discharge consists not only of the grass you just cut, but also that of all preceeding rows cut.  By the 3rd or 4th pass, it's chucking quite a bit of grass.  Also, when you get to about two rows out from the center, the clippings start to blow over the uncut center rows, and onto the grass you've already cut.  You can rake this, but blowing didn't work very well for me--clippings got caught up on the grass blades.

Good luck,

Tom