RE: (ET) Batteries and lighting

On 12 Mar 2005 at 7:26, Dave & Deb wrote:

> the surprise was this
> last battery which actually had more capacity than the the optimas in
> fact
> more than any others but the genesis.

Compared to flooded deep cycle batteries, and even some AGM deep cycle
types, SLI (starting lighting ignition) batteries have very high specific
power, and often comparable or better specific energy.  The compounding
required to make a deep cycle battery survive cyclic use reduces both of
these factors.

Electric vehicle racers used to use SLI batteries for this very reason.

The GE charger will overcharge and damage AGM batteries unless you add a
fairly sophisticated outboard charge controller to it.  I don't know where
you'd buy one, and building a really capable one is not a trivial task.

You could charge each module individually with a fully automatic charger
appropriate for the batteries, ideally one approved by the manfacturer.

Or, you could use a 36 volt approved AGM type charger for the entire pack.

In this case you would need to add a DC:DC converter to derive power for
the
lift, at least, and also for the lights if you used 12v lights, since
tapping the pack would cause problems when using a 36v charger with AGMs.

There are lots of things you can do to improve the ET, updating it from
what
Mark Hanson calls "Apollo era technology."  Of course none of this comes
free!   Whether each possible change is worth the effort and cost is
really
a matter of personal preference - I like my gel batteries and Alltrax
controller, for example, but they're not for everyone.  In fact, although
age is catching up to it, there's much to admire in the relative
simplicity
of the original GE design.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
     War is an option whose time has passed; peace is the only
     option for the future.  At present we occupy a treacherous
     no man's land between peace and war, a time of growing fear
     that our miltary might has expanded beyond our capacity to
     control it and our political differences [have] widened beyond
     our ability to bridge them ... the only way to achieve a
     practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is
     to take the profit out of war.

                             -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)