Re: (ET) Batteries and lighting

At 10:07 AM 3/11/05 -0500, steves wrote:
I'm no expert on lighting, but in general, incandescent lamps are pretty sensitive to voltage. Their need to run pretty close to their max to get much efficiency. If you look at 'super long life' bulbs you'll see they are actually rated for 130V. They last long because at 115V they are running well under rated voltage. They are also very inefficient when run that way. Likewise running over the rated voltage will shorten life greatly while increasing brightness. The limit is a bright flash and dead lamp. Aircraft landing lights may be different. I would think they would be more tolerant due their critical application, but 36V may be too much. If you don't use them much, I would run them off off 24V - they'd last longer, be a bit less bright, but would discharge the pack a bit unevenly. Hmm if the stereo and siren are 12V, run them off the other 2 batteries and it may balance out!

They are also going to be a pretty substantial load on the battery pack (assuming they are incandescent). raising the voltage from 28 to 36 V raises the power to 990W or nearly 30A per light.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III