Re: (ET) Batteries

Not sure if you mean brand or type, but starting at the lowest common denominator - you want deep discharge lead-acid batteries as used in golf carts etc.

From there, it depends.

Probably the most 'standard' would be new Trojan T-105s. Other manufactures are out there with a similar battery, Sam's Club has a variety as well. The T105 (and like sized lead-acids) is matched to the ET in size, power, and charging needs, with the caveat that some come with a post arrangement that may be too tall for the rear compartment. Your battery place may be willing to order the shorter post or you can carefully (see the archives) cut the stud part off. ~$60-$75 each. I don't know enough to debate brands, but I bet the differences are pretty small - I image how we treat the batteries has a far, far, greater effect on their longevity.

If it's a 'new' ET to you and/or you are new to ETs, you may want to look into used T105s (or equivalent) to start off with. Check golf courses, battery stores, or golf cart repair places. You save batteries from early death, if you or your ET treat them wrong, it's no big loss, and you can get them for about $10-$25 each depending on how good they are and if they were thoroughly checked out. Many times you can get batteries that only have a year or two on them.

You can use almost anything else with restrictions. If your mowing needs are small, three 12 volt batteries can be used, but with the problem of how to deal with the lift motor which uses an 18V tap. Batteries other than the standard lead-acid could possibly be used, but will likely need a different charger.

I personally favor the used T105s or equivalent. It good environmentally, it's inexpensive, and it feels good when you 'hunt' down a nice set of year-old batteries at $25 each.

- SteveS

MakingLightning wrote:

I am getting ready to get some batteries for my E-20

Does anyone out there care to tell me your preference and why?