To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:08 AM
Subject: (ET) lift motor repair

I've now got two front lifts with non-working motors.  (and zero working
ones.)  I've never repaired an electric motor before but figure I've got
nothing to loose here.  So I took apart one last night and found the
brushes worn almost to nothing, and the wire to one brush disconnected
(looks like it arced off, maybe caused by the brush had worn down to where
the wire was connected).

The fragment of brush I removed had worn to a triangular shape, but it
seems to travel in a holder about 1/4" square.  I don't know of any retail
sources for motor brushes. Is there an online source anyone would
recommend?  Will a brush like this typically come with a wire attached, or
will I have to rig something?

Is the junkyard a viable source?  Mid-70s GM drivers-side power-window
motors?

Any other advice?