Re: (ET) E20 motor current sense connections

Mine was overheating as well, however the reason seems to be my field weakening circuit on card 4 is not closing the FW relay properly. Thus FW is still availible even though the motor is loading up. Presto: Way more heat on that shunt.

For now I have been not using FW unless going down hill. I've got to fix this before spring. Regardless my tractor is buried in the red on the meter with the snowblower running, but that's not going thru the armature shunt.

Chris

steves wrote:
I should listen to my own advice. Last week I mentioned checking the connections to the motor current sense and I then I fell victim to it myself. I was out plowing the 'big' snow of the season (about 6") when I smelled hot electricals and smoke started coming up from under the hood. Long and short of it it was loose connections between the top of the copper strap used as the motor current sense and the threaded post that holds it and conducts down to the wire connections. Since this happened mid-plow, I just took out the threaded rod and bolted the cables right to the shunt. What a mess - insulation is melted back a inch or so on the wires, the plastic (?) support is burnt, etc....

Anyway - check those connections. The shunt was way too hot to touch (burnt thru my favorite winter gloves - dang!) - I would think the shunt should nevereven get warm, right?

- SteveS
E20