Re: (ET) Charger repair.

At 07:04 PM 2/21/05 -0500, Paul and Sue Abendroth wrote:
Robert Adsett wrote:
Surely you mean mF! The largest capacitor I've heard of is on the order of 250F and that's a physically large low voltage multi-capacitor pack, not a something that would be suited for the output of a charger.
It's not milli-Farad either it's micro. Since most typerwriters didn't have the mu, it was common for years to abreviate micro-Farad as MFD.

Good heavens. I knew some manufacturers of old had used mF for microF and that caused problems enough. And I thought that practice had deservedly died out 5 decades ago. If it's necessary to use ASCII characters all I ever see now is either micro or u (as a similar looking character to mu, I think they actually share a common heritage). Using M instead is a rather mind boggling mis-use of SI prefixes.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III