(ET) Late-model E12 (JDseries) 3rd speed not working

Hi all,

I've restored a JD-series E12 to "mostly running" condition.  The last thing I need to do is get the 3rd (A2) speed back.  Speed control switch tests ok with VOM.  The A1/A2 solenoids/contactors are the bakelite-looking short, stubby solenoids like you find in golf carts.  They sit horizontally on the control panel above the "normal" vertical F, PTO, and R contactors.  Those of you with the Home Owner's Service Manual can find a diagram in the back of Chapter 7, with the E14,16,...  Anyway, I replaced the A1 contactor, as it was rattling like a machine gun when shifting into 2nd speed.  Now, the 2nd speed runs great, but I still can't get A2 to work for the 3rd speed.  I assume that the A2 contactor works properly, because I can switch it with the A1, and get the same result.  I'm also only measuring 2+ volts across the big terminals on either contactor, when the manual says I should find 4.

Other info--this version of the E12 has the PM drive motor with a centrifugal switch, and the manual says the armature must be rotating fast enough to close that switch.  I think it must be, as it sounds fine, and goes almost as fast as my E12s in the same range/speed.  I also tried to energize the A2 contactor by using the Power Pulse button with the armature stopped to bypass the centrifugal switch, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom Pattee