Re: (ET) Snow Blower Performance

The blower spins freely by hand and the motor has lots of torque but it
doesn't throw the snow far. Dry snow it throws just clear of the wheels and
wet snow just blocks the thrower funnel.

Try angling the chute up or down a bit. Also if the snow is light run the tractor faster than LL/L to fill the auger with snow.

Wet snow is a pain; there is a solution IMHO

Is something amiss?
Technique. I can blow snow very well with my E20; just takes a bit of practice.

There is some rust inside the funnel but nothing I'd have thought would be
the cause.
That's the cause. The rust really slows down the snow and gives it something to *stick* to.

Some people recommend rubbing parrafin on the chute and throat to smooth it out. Good idea but pain to do. I painted the inside of the chute with POR-15 anti-rust paint. Basically this stuff is hard as a rock and smooth as glass. Things like snow will *not* stick to it. In fact the only time I plugged my chute was when I turned it from one direction to the other while full and I was able to press the plug of ice out with my hands.

The motor doesn't seem to slow down when I blow 6" of snow, so I'm assuming
the wiring resistance etc is okay.

Drive faster. Load down the auger a bit. Torque is your friend.

Any advantage to changing the sprockets to increase the rpm?

I'd recommend against this: Faster auger might damage the bearings or vibrate more. But it could be interesting.

All help appreciated - It's fun anyway and this thing has so much torque, I
was thinking of building a plough - anyone done this?

People do plows, opinion is mixed. I like the blower because it blows the snow *away*; with a plow you have to push the snow somewhere.

Oh I also recommend putting a weight box on the back of the tractor and loading it with 200lbs of stuff.

Chris