Re: (ET) cable terminals

Thank you for this info Harry.
My E15 came with the clamp on terminals that are also secured by using large washers and nuts on the screw on portion of the combo post to force them down on to the lug. I've had to replace most of the clamps and I don't like way the wire attaches but wasn't sure how to go about soldering. I use deoxit cleaner on the wires but they still get pretty funky over time.

When I get to my tractor rebuild with my new sheet metal from Keith and hopefully an Alltrax I'll redo all my battery cables also.

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

"harry landis" <hlandis hotmail com>
Sent by: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu

02/04/2005 12:24 AM

cc
Subject
Re: (ET) cable terminals

For those who like the lead clamp on terminals, you can take a regular cheap
one with the steel clamp and throw away the clamp and bolts and solder the
cable directly to the lead. Lead melts at a higher temp than solder, and
solders easily if youy don't overheat it and melt it. Tin the cable first by
smearing on flux and dipping it in molten lead or solder. You may have to do
it a couple of times to get a good coating. Tinned wire works best, and also
will have fewer corrosion issues. But it should also be tinned as above to
bond the srtrands together before soldering to the terminal. A propane torch
works fine. Electronic or plumber's 50/50 solder is fine. Don't use lead
free solder as it melts at a higher temp.

Harry Landis