Re: (ET) cable terminals

On 2 Feb 2005 at 22:27, Chris Zach wrote:

>  From what I've heard on the EV lists, the problem with the ring and
> stud is that the bolt comes loose over time which leads to a loose cable
> which
> leads to a melted post.

I hear this a lot, and I have no doubt that the combination terminals that
golf cars often use are not the optimum.  However, I have never had
problems
with these terminals, either on the ET or on a road EV with a current
limit of
anywhere from 250 to 400 amps.  I use ordinary split washers combined with
flat washers - not even Bellville washers - and just apply a wrench
(gently)
every few months.

So far, the only battery connection I ever had fail was the cruddy generic
bolt-on clamp terminal that I used "temporarily" (uh, yeah, that's it ;-)
on
my Comuta-Car.

If you are running a 700 or 1000 amp controller, no question about it -
you
need the absolute best connection possible.  But at the currents the ET
requires, it's not such a big deal, IMO.  Use good stuff, but don't spend
your
entire allowance on high-priced lugs or clamps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
In politics stupidity is not a handicap.

                                        -- Paul Graham