Re: (ET) cable terminals - was:Looking for a great deal on batterycables:Chck out this one-bay.

> Here's my question: Is there anything in the design of these tractors that
relies on somewhat undersize cables?  I seem to remember some comments here
to that effect, but I can't remember.  Something like a needed voltage
drop?
Does this ring any bells for anyone?  Oh, and a related question: does
anyone know how the color bands translate to amps on the "power" meter?

There is one wire from the battery off somewhere that is used as the shunt for the main ammeter. Has to be a certain length and type of wire, etc.

Aside from that, I have heard that the reason they used smaller wire was to limit the max current running around inside. Remember that the contactors in use are designed for something like 50-75 amps continous use; running them at higher levels for lengths of time could cause problems. If you have an E15 or E20 the current across the armature shunt limits field weakening anyway. For the most part you just drop a volt or two under max power.

I'd say that unless you're seeing warm wires while blowing snow the stock wire set is probably ok. If you're doing tractor pulls, then upgrading the contactors and the wire might be a good idea to minimize voltage drop and get max power.

Chris

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia  PA  USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor
  with mid-mount mower deck and snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower