To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) RE: Alltrax DCX300 availability - Alltrax versus 4QD

I think Alltrax makes a good product, and our market is tiny volume, and
even their new 'retail' price is probably fair, all things considered (for
instance: great warranty, compared to so many other products).
When you consider that the average software and hardware enigineer earns
$75K and up, making a custom change to software in a product to support
sales of a product in volumes of only a couple hundred units might actually
push the reatail cost of the unit.

However, as I mentioned in a past email, since the Elec-Traks are over 30
years old, and the Alltrax controller is potted and NOT repairable, to me
the 2 year warranty seems quite limited.  I want to be able to fix it
myself, after the warranty has expired.

I read lots about the 4QD products - HUGE amounts of information on their
website.  Positive info: the circuit boards are not potted.
But, the 4QD product cost more than the ORIGINAL price Steve Richardson had
quoted online for the Alltrax product - and does NOT have Field Weakening
(though this is probably not a problem for blowing snow).

After shoveling twice a day for the last week, I was highly motivated to
order an Alltrax Controller for one of my dead E-20's.

But, after reading this thread regarding Alltrax new pricing, and that Dave (of 'Dave & Deb') has gone through 4 Alltrax controllers, I am leaning back
toward 4QD, since I will be able to replace blown FET's or whatever parts
myself (likely for LESS than the cost of just shipping the controller back
to manufacturer for repair).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Markus Lorch" <mlorch vt edu>