Re: (ET) POR-15

On 20 Jan 2005 at 23:55, Mike Wallace wrote:

> As a side comment, any mower deck that I rebuild in the future will be
> sandblasted and then coated on the bottom side with the sprayed-on
> Xtreme bed
> liner system ...

The last time I reworked my E15 mower deck, like you, I wanted to have the
bottom coated with truck bedliner material.  Not the rubbery DIY stuff you
can
buy at K-Mart, but the real epoxy-based material that the franchise
dealers
apply.

I spent several days calling and/or visiting just about every bedliner
applier
in my city, and not a one of them would touch it.  Most said something
like
"we'd have to charge you too much."  Some said "We're not set up to do
something like that."  One person told me that he'd have to open a full
can to
coat it, and they'd have a huge amount of it left over that would go to
waste.
 Even when I offered to pay for the full can, he still refused, which
makes me
wonder if they just didn't want to bother doing something they weren't
100%
familiar with.

I ended up using a two-part catalyzed enamel (polyurethane, IIRC), from a
paint supplier.  They provided two-part primer and a two-part topcoat.  I
actually brushed both on, since I didn't have an air compressor or the
required respirator (the vapor is deadly if breathed).  So far so good.

The ER8-36 deck I hosed with "Epoxy" appliance enamel in a spray can
hasn't
fared quite so well.  The paint is flaking off, just like the old enamel
did.
Not recommended.