Re: (ET) Capacitors

John,

Those battery charger capacitors must be rated for 660 VAC or they will
short out.
Those 2 little wires that connect to the capacitor normally run about 630
VAC.
It does not take very long to short out or open the transformer winding.
It is a small gage winding, it will not take a lot of abuse.
The old GE capacitor rating was 551 to 720 VAC, 660 nominal.
There was 3 different chargers, the E-8 charger used a 2 mfd cap,
the E-10 charger used a 4 mfd cap. And large frame charger.
The E-12, E12M, E12s, E15, E20, chargers all use the 4 mfd capacitor.
Same part number as the E-10.
Part numbers were GE Electrak 243A4653P1 for the E-10 and up.
                                GE  # 45F606 from Hudson Falls capacitor
works, circa 1972.
                                GE  # 26F6621FA  from Hudson Falls, circa
1993.

Hope this helps.   Mike DeLiso