Re: (ET) Replacing the capacitor, makes a difference!

Jeff Tickner wrote:

My new capacitor is hose clamped to the clips

Yeah, right way to do it and all :-)

That said, I powered up the charger last night. And it charges *much* better than before. However I did notice that my pack is out of balance; the forward battery light was a nice green while the rear ones were off. Left it overnight to balance, and in the morning the lights were all on, and the front battery light was not yellow (thermal runaway)

I haven't used the charger itself in years due to the solar charging, however with winter approaching I need to be able to handle fast recharges with the blower.

Nutshell: Check and change out your charger capacitor if the meter is not going all the way into the white. Otherwise you are under-charging.

Now to repair the dial knob; looks like the switch contacts are welded closed again. Ah well, no rest for the weary man.

Chris

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

*Garry & Terry Freese <tnlighthouse bellsouth net>*
Sent by: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu

11/15/2004 09:59 PM

Chris Zach <czach computer org>, Elec-trak list <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
cc

Subject
        Re: (ET) Replacing the capacitor, what a pain

No need to remove the old Capacitor.  By using 2 heavy tye raps secure the
new cap to the old cap change over the 2 wires, replace the wire mess cover
with timer and away you go.
Garry East TN

At 08:41 PM 11/15/2004, Chris Zach wrote:
 >Ok, so I decided on a simple project: Replace the charge capacitor.
 >Charger doesn't work well, seems a good place to start.
 >
 >What a screaming PAIN!
 >
>Main problem is the clips that hold it in are attached to screws that have
 >blind bolts. Which can't be reached from underneath which means you have
>to take the whole charger out which is a pain in the rear, and requires me
 >to remove the snowblower mount and so forth and so on.
 >
 >So I just bent the clips, put the new one in there, and secured it with
 >electrical tape. Tomorrow I'll get some zip strips. In the meantime we'll
 >see if it charges.
 >
 >Chris

 >This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
 >http://www.nod32.com

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.