From: Rich Rock
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 6:16 PM
Subject: (ET) Alltrax ControllerPRO

Has anyone used the Alltrax software ControllerPRO to change the settings for their DCX300-ET?  I need to change the pot input setting so today downloaded the software from the Alltrax web site and hooked my WinXP computer to the controller with the DB-9 serial cable as instructed.  All I got was "Controller not responding".  I then took the DCX300 out of the machine and wired it as shown in the directions with 2 9v batteries in series and hooked to the apporpriate pins.  The controller LED flashed red so was powered but again all I got on my computer was "Controller not responding".

I'll be calling Mike on Monday but hoped someone out there may have some experience with this.

After installing the DCX300-ET I was disappointed with the pot assembly shipped by Alltrax.  I wanted to have something with the forward/reverse built into the foot pedal so I have custom built a foot pedal with a 20K potentiometer with the 2 end leads wired together.  This creates a pot with 0K-5K from the start of rotation to the center and then 5K-0K from the center to the end of the rotation.  I have also placed a forward/reverse switch that activates at the center (neutral) position.  My last task is to mount a second swith for the "throttle" role that will be triggered in the neutral (5K) position.  The controllers are currently shipped with 5K as full throttle so I need to change the controller to a setting that recognizes 0K as full throttle.  When complete, this foot pedal should work very similar to a modern hydrostat type foot control in which the operator pushes forward with the toe to go forward, neutral is in the center position, and pushing (rocking) back on the heel causes the tractor to go in reverse.  The pedal has friction locks to hold position and a detent to indicate neutral.

Rich Rock

Of all the enemies to liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people.
-- James Madison, Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865)