Re: (ET) Re: ET reliability

There was a later E-12 / E-14 that DID have a permanent magnet traction motor. The earlier E-12, and the E-12 S had wound fields, but according to the diagrams are the only wound field motors that do not have a field winding in the armature circuit.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Zach" <czach computer org>
To: "Dave & Deb" <daveb drizzle com>
Cc: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 10:41 PM
Subject: (ET) Re: ET reliability

Hm. I thought one of the E12 series had a PM motor. Must be thinking of the E10 then.

Chris

Dave & Deb wrote:

E12S  no field at all?? what exactly do you mean?  I know it doesn't do
field weakening but it does have a field. Also I didn't think it's motor
was PM.  Can someone confirm?
thanks

Dave
E12S
Seattle

It's also the simplest. No field at all, PM motor, 3 speeds, etc.
Technically the E8 and 10 are the uber-simplest (one speed, always on,
etc) but that's not fair.

My only question is would tossing it from fwd to reverse would still
cause an arc on the push-pull contactors. Also could that eventually
damage the PM field magnet?

Chris

Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

I believe the E-12S has the most forgiving electronics and is the most
reliable.  It isn't the fastest, or the most efficient, but it's the
only tractor that you can put in reverse when going full forward that
won't burn something up.

Larry Elie