(ET) Replacing the charge unit

Recently the charge unit on my E12 failed.  Searching everywhere produced no results for a replacement.  But in my searches I did find a suitable replacement that I would like to pass on to other owners.  PLP Battery Supply, Murphysboro Warehouse, 1362 North 7th Street, Murphysboro, IL, 62966, (618) 642-3451 has a 36 volt charger for $211.  This unit will not fit in the tractor, but I hung mine on the wall where I store my tractor.  Get it with an AMHB-50 connector and ask for a matching connector.  I then removed the existing charge unit and added a short cable to the matching connector and attached the short connector cable to the two leads that the existing charger connects to, being sure to check the polarity.  Now I just plug in the short cable to the charge unit and the charging is automatic.  I am very pleased with the performance of the unit.  Also the people at PLP Battery supply were very helpful in all my conversations and I highly recommend them.

As an extra I found out long ago that the batteries the tractor uses are the same as those used in golf carts.  I have also learned that most golf courses put new batteries in the carts each year.  The replaced batteries still have 4 years life and they are a glut at the golf cart servicing shops, usually being sold to a recycling center for the metal they contain.  So instead of paying $60-70 / battery, I have gotten them for $0-20 / battery and find that in my usage they last 4-5 years before they need replacement.  A major cost saving.