To: "Elec-trak list" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) Replacing main disconnect

On 16 Sep 2004 at 23:18, RJ Kanary wrote:

Having sparks and high temperature gasses present near lead acid batteries, {That do evolve explosive gases during DIScharge, also.}may not be the best
idea in the world.

Interesting. Perhaps I've missed something - besides extreme overdischarge
situations, when a cell is reversed, when do lead acid batteries produce
explosive gases on discharge? Are you speaking of hydrogen, or some other
explosive gas?  If some other, what process causes this evolution?

Thanks,

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
We are a warlike people, and we love war.

          -- Michael Ledeen, American Enterprise Institute