Re: (ET) tractor parts

Cool arrangement, GE really put some thought into these things.
Good thought about bypassing the shunt when not needed.

>>> Chris Zach <czach computer org> 9/12/2004 10:01:26 PM >>>
Right. The trick though is the E20 series has an "overdrive" in field
weakening for speeds 5-8. This is accomplished by putting resistors in
series with the field current, thus causing the tractor to pull more
armature current and "go faster"

Problem is it's like gearing the motor eletrically; if you go up a hill
with field weakening on your current draw will go thru the roof. Enough
to damage your motor.

To prevent this, there is a copper shunt in series with the armature
connections. Connecting to this are two wires that go to a simple pair
of transistors which measure voltage. When the voltage goes above a
certain amount across the shunt, the transistors close and engage a
relay that bypasses the field weakening resistors.

Excellent idea, and something I can rely on. I've been known to floor
the tractor and go up steep hills. The shunt picks up the hill (as a
current increase on the motor) and the FW cuts out. So you slow down
going up the hill. At the top you go back to full speed as the current
draw drops.

The problem is this shunt was built way back in the old days of
electronics, and due to the nature of the transistors there had to be a
rather large voltage drop across the shunt to trigger the transistors. A
large voltage drop (probably in the tenths of volts as opposed to
thousandths for a simple meter) requires a higher resistance shunt.
Resistance=heat in the universe, so this high voltage shunt drops a lot
of heat.

Heat also equals inefficiency, and I hate inefficiency. However RJ is
right: Bypassing the shunt would be suicide for the motor. The brushes
would melt, and the motor would fail.

I'll post my further thoughts on this in reply to his message.

Chris