(ET) E8 power control

I have recently aquired an E8M that is in need of (and will be receiving)
resuscitative measures. I had been looking for a golf-cart graveyard to
find an electric vehicle that might be returned to health for simple
transportation needs between a lake and a cottage (about a quarter mile).
Instead I found myself going back to the future when I came upon an old
Electrak that was for sale. What a remarkable experiment GE undertook with
this machine.

In browsing through messages in the archives as well as the documents at
electrak.org, it seems that throttle control on the larger electraks was
accomplished by successively increasing the current in the field windings
through a set of contactors. On the E8, with a permanent magnet motor and
no throttle, I'm wondering if jackrabbit starts are simply controlled by
allowing the belt to slip when the clutch is let out. Does the E8 motor
run full-out whenever it is on? If one was to reduce the size of the
pulley on the rear axle (to increase speed), would it be a good idea to
convert to a PWM motor controller (and if so, does anyone know what
current one would have to switch on the E8)?

Thanks for any help,

Ken Muldrew