From: "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com>
To: "Chris Zach" <czach computer org>; "Elec-trak list"
<elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: (ET) Oh yeah, serious ground fault

Just for the info; all the tables of wire gauge and current are ignored in
designing small equipment.  What is
important is voltage drop (resistance based) on the wire.  The tables will
tell you #10 is good to 30 amps; and
that you need number 00 for 200 amps; that's true in your house where the
runs are 50' long.  200 Amps on #10
that is only a few feet long is NOT a big problem.  #10 has a resistance of
.9988 ohms per 1000', so 5' is only
5 mili-ohms.  #4 has a resistance of .2485 ohms per 1000', so 20' of number
4 (where my table ends) will have the
same resistance AND TEMPERATURE RISE as 5' of #10.  Short is good.  The
temperature of the wire depends on the
resistance, current ambient temperature and duration; nothing more.  The
starter leads on your car are probably
#8 or at most #6; 500 amps for 1 minute is not uncommon.  The wires inside
your alternator are no bigger than
single strand #8 (and more likely #10) and we run them at up to 120 amps
continuous (at 90 deg C...) because the
net resistance is small.

Larry Elie