-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Klein Robert
W NPRI
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 2:50 PM
To: 'elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu'
Subject: (ET) RE: Smoke and Power Loss

Was cutting the lawn with my Wheelhorse C-185 last evening.  Came down a
steep but short incline and had to reverse.  Hit the brake pedal, stopped
the tractor, flicked the reverse switch and by the time I had lifted my
foot off the brake and hit the accelerator was rolling forward slightly.
The motor loaded up and then nothing but smoke coming from under the
cowl/dashboard.  Immediately turned off the main cutout switch.  As I was
in a rush I fired up the IC Wheelhorse to finish the lawn then used it to
tow the electric into the shop.  Pulled off the panels and found that the
heavy power cable from the center solenoid to the left side solenoid had
burnt through at the terminal.  I removed and repaired the cable and
reinstalled.  Immediately got back all functions of the tractor in
forward... Nothing in reverse.  I can manually override the reversing
relay and get it to work but am unable to trace the fault.  Any ideas out
there?

Bob in Charlestown, RI
1-C-185 with;
Plow