RE: (ET) E20 main motor rating / max amperage

Some of the banter GE put out when the ET was introduced in Popular
Science and Popular Mechanics
said ALL the full frame tractors put out 20 hp with the difference being
the duration.  Baloney.
What is true is that the E20 was comparable to a 20 hp gas, etc.  How?  I
have used a 20 HP Bolens.
Running the deck probably takes 6 hp on that beast alone.  The ET deck is
between 2 and 3 hp, but if
you deduct the 6 hp off the Bolens, it only has 14 hp... no wait, it is a
hydrostat... 75% drivetrain
max, so 14 engine hp is only about 10 at the wheels... no wait again, a
hydro works with poppet valves
that are set for pulling not launch, so the ET launches better (your 300
amps...) and why ET's win
pulls.  In addition, the 20 hp Bollens probably never gets above 18 dyno
even at the shaft because of
other losses and atmospheric pressure changes and the fact that the max hp
is at a specific torque and
rpm combination.  The bottom line is the E20 is a good substitute for a 20
hp gas, the E15/E12 likewise.
But don't try to make the numbers work; The E20 motor won't do more than 8
hp for even 2 seconds.
>From your data....

Assuming 36V (which isn't true but is a starting point)

Power = V x Amps.

@ 50 Amps it's only 1800 watts.  760 watts (mechanical) is 1 hp.  The
motor is pretty good, so 80% is OK for 2 hp.

@ 100 Amps we are only doing 3600 watts.  Around 4 hp.  The thermal
breaker will trip in about 20 minutes at this
level; I've done it disking.  The motor is less than 5 hp in reality.  But
then there are the 3 .75-1 hp deck motors
too....  Nah, it still isn't 10 hp.

@ 400 Amps (brief launch) we are probably drawing 14 kW, but putting out
11.  This would be 15 hp but it's only
for 1/2 second or so.

So, it isn't as bad as Sears selling a 3 amp drill and calling it 3 hp,
but it still isn't true.

Larry Elie