Re: (ET) wiring diag help needed...

the model number is 26AE12AA.  It's an E12S.
Now here's the latest sad chapter of my alltrax tale...

I had finished installing the alltrax controller and spent yesterday
morning hauling hay bales for about an hour or so.  The tractor ran fine
the alltrax was great.  it's really nice having a real "throttle" and
smooth acceleration and deceleration.

After lunch I decided to troubleshoot the PTO's lack of juice.  I quickly
discovered the problem was no power to the PTO's coil.  In removing the
old wiring and circut card I had snipped wires 26 & 27 that go to the
circut card from the PTO switch without realizing what they were.  Hence I
had nothing to energize the coil.   Also in tracing this down I discovered
a loose "repaired" wire, #26, at the PTO's switch so I resoldered that.  I
then spliced a new wire into the snipped wire 27 down to the PTO contactor
in place of wire 34 from the original circut card.  I'm not sure this was
correct but from the diagram of the E12S it looked like the right spot.

Moment(s) of truth.  Main Disconnect on, seat switch closed, key on, flip
the PTO switch on and off quickly.  It worked.  the mower motors spun up
and braked when the switch was flipped off.  I tried it a little longer,
maybe 2 seconds. Same good result.  But then I thought I smelled a little
whiff of something while getting off the tractor.   I got back on and
flipped the PTO switch and left it on this time long enough to see the
smoke pouring out of the alltrax controller.  aw damn....

Quick review.  Everything was fine for the morning's work of hauling hay
making 8 or 9 300ft trips down the driveway with the hay and back.
forward reverse, full throttle, half throttle, crawl it all worked fine
and nothing got hot.  Wired in the PTO and poof! up in smoke.  What could
be wrong?  I have wire 2 from the PTO contactor going to the main
disconnect, wire 3 & 20 from the PTO contactor going to the plug, wire 24
from the plug down to battery negative at the shunt.  Just like the
diagram provided with the alltrax and blueprint from Bill Gunn.  So
assuming that I did wire it correctly (pretty big assumption and I'll
check it again tomorrow when I'm on the farm again) could there be
something wrong with one of mower's motors??  shorted out or something????

Before I started this conversion this machine did weld the fwd/rev relay
contacts frequently.  so frequently that I put in an inline fuse to
protect it.  I was hoping to find something to explain that while removing
the old wiring and circut card but never did.

The previous owner I think had the mower motors rebuilt.  Should I take
them in to a shop and have them checked???

Any and all suggestions, comments (even wisecracks) would be gratefully
rec'd while I cry in my beer.... thanks....

smoked in Seattle,
Dave